Tales of My Legs - 2

DAY 2
TALES OF MY LEG - PART 2
(A Reason for Love)

Love is a problem for most humans. I don’t just think so, I know so. Even though it’s in our nature as mortal beings to love and expect the same, it’s not always as easy as it sounds and I’ll say why.
As far as human minds go, there is a deep-seated philosophy weaved into every fabric of our thinking, especially with issues of emotional intelligence, humanists often call this rationality. Every person who has reached the age of reason tries to explain the basis of their feelings and for their actions. We would often allude our thoughts and attitudes to something, everything and anything. There are hardly many who defy this norm. Even those who are unconscionable still tie their beliefs to a reason. Having no reason at all is a reason in itself. This way, it is almost impossible for anyone not to have a reason to or not to love.

We always hang our emotional sentiments and affections towards others - what we call love, on the balance of rationality. For instance, a recent poll on twitter asked users to state the worst reasons why people refused to date them and you will be amazed at how completely outrageous some of the responses are (a). To think that love or lack if it can be explained is unthinkable. How can we explain what we can only feel, after all, are we not as humans mostly moved by our five senses – touch, smell, sound, sight and taste? How then can we justify our feelings on rational grounds of sound reason? This is what I like to call the dilemma of love.

What is however evident from experience is that for most lovers, there is always a reason, several reasons or no reason at all for falling in love and for this, they would do anything and everything to make it stay that way, even if it costs their life. The story of Romeo and Juliet readily comes to mind here. You won’t need to go further than two pages of most Nigerian dailies to find the excuses why many lovers would prefer to stay or opt out of love.

These were my thoughts as I walked past the famous ‘love garden’ strategically located along the entrance of the University of Ibadan campus and opposite one of its popular female halls – Queen Elizabeth’s Hall. As I saw lovers couched in each other’s arms whispering promises of eternity to each other’s ear’s and walking in the paths of each other’s legs, I couldn’t help but think of what could be their reason for love. Is it temporary or eternal, would it stay in spite of Nigeria’s present economic recession or would it never get past the gates. 

As I wondered what would be my own excuse for love, I was soon jolted back to reality by the hot sun which was almost at its climax and peering faces wondering why I was staring at their privacy. I would sure love to be found in the lover’s paradise someday, even Adam and Eve enjoyed that luxury, but till then I’ll still be searching for a reason for love. I hope by God I find one soon!


(a)    Source: http://pulse.ng/relationships/relationships-and-dating-people-reveal-some-ridiculous-reasons-why-they-got-curved-id5995025.html

##Day2
##My21DaysWritathon
##WhatisYourMessage?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Political Rhetoric and Culture of Mediocrity among Nigeria's Political Class: Reading Richard Bourne's 'Nigeria: A New History of a Turbulent Century'

GETTING NIGERIA’S DEMOCRACY TO WORK: THE ROLE OF THE TRI-SECTOR